Local COVID-19 Update
BEDHD COVID-19 Situational Update 04/14/21
We are asking everyone to choose to protect their families, friends, and fellow community members by wearing masks in public, getting tested for COVID-19, social distancing, handwashing, and getting vaccinated as soon as you can. We also recommend holding off on family gatherings and parties, avoiding unnecessary travel, attending church virtually, and working from home when possible.
Cases & Testing
We have been experiencing a surge in COVID-19 cases in both counties. Test positivity rates are at 20%, meaning that there are MANY people who have COVID-19 that we are not finding. Please encourage everyone to get a test if they have symptoms. Free pop-up rapid testing sites are happening routinely in our area, and BEDHD is working to bring some here as well. Please visit this site to find a pop-up rapid event, or seek testing through the sites listed below.
In the past 2 weeks, we have identified new outbreaks due to sports teams, social gatherings, sleepovers, funerals, restaurants, churches, daycares, in-person learning, long-term care (nursing homes), banks, office workplaces, salons, apartment complexes, and recreational venues like movie theaters and bowling alleys. If you are leaving your home for ANY reason, you could unknowingly be exposed to someone with COVID19.
BEDHD is releasing weekly data reports for each county. The Interactive Data Dashboard can be found here.
We have paused the use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine as recommended by the CDC and FDA. This pause is a sign that our vaccination safety monitoring is working so that scientists can evaluate potential issues. We will resume use of J&J if that recommendation is made.
The situation on the availability of vaccine has drastically changed from a few weeks ago! If you or folks you know have been holding off till things settle down a bit, now is the time. We have many vacant appointments tomorrow and Friday at our Lansing Mall clinics, and anticipate many appointments to be available at the Barry County Expo Center as well next week.
Our website now has direct links to schedule vaccination appointments! We are also now able to label each clinic with the type of vaccine – Moderna (18+) and Pfizer (16+).
Testing Locations In/Around Barry Eaton District
MANY TESTING SITES DO NOT REQUIRE APPOINTMENTS and while insurance is billed, there is no out-of-pocket cost to participants. Many sites will test people regardless of current symptoms. Some sites are offering antibody testing; this usually requires a blood draw and a doctor’s order, although many sites have providers on-site.
Free testing sites can be found here and a testing site locator can be found here.
- Charlotte: Sparrow Eaton Hospital – 321 E. Harris St., 877-205-1300 (THROUGH DECEMBER 10)
- Charlotte: Al!ve – 800 W. Lawrence Ave., 877-205-1300 (BEGINNING DECEMBER 11)
- East Lansing: Michigan State University Health Care, 804 Service Road, Parking Lot 100, 855-958-2678
- Eaton Rapids, Rite Aid: 715 South Main Street, register online
- Grand Rapids: Mercy Health Grand Rapids – Wege Parking Ramp, 300 Lafayette Ave SE, 833-247-1258
- Grand Rapids: Spectrum Health Butterworth (Grand Rapids) – Offering FREE COVID-19 screenings 24/7, schedule a drivethrough test, 616-391-2380
- Grand Rapids: Cherry Health, 200 Sheldon Street SE, 616-965-8347
- Hastings: Spectrum Health Pennock, 1009 W. Green Street, 833-559-0659
- Hastings: Family Fare Pharmacy Drive-Thru, FREE, https://www.shopfamilyfare.com/covid-19-testing
- Henry Ford Health Systems- Jackson- scheduling a drive-through/prescreen: 313-874-7500
- Kalamazoo: Kalamazoo Health and Community Services Department, 311 E. Alcott St., 269-373-5200
- Kalamazoo: Family Health Center, 117 W Paterson St., 269-488-0804
- Jackson: Center for Family Health, 505 N. Jackson St., 517-748-5363
- Lansing: Ingham Community Health Centers, 2316 S. Cedar St., 517-887-4517
- Lansing: Sparrow Hospital – St. Lawrence Campus, 1210 W. Saginaw, 877-205-1300 PRE-OP ONLY
- Lansing: PHP Building (Physicians Health Plan), 1400 Michigan Ave. 877-205-1300
- Lansing: Epicenter of Worship, 517 W. Jolly Road, Lansing. Hours: Tuesdays 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Thursdays 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Sundays 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Lansing: Sparrow Laboratories Drive Thru (Formerly Sears Auto Center), 3131 E. Michigan Ave., 877-205-1300
- St. Johns: Sparrow Clinton Hospital, 805 S. Oakland St., 877-205-1300
Please view the state’s overall data here.